Central Philippine University (CPU) was established by American Baptist missionaries in 1905 through a three-pronged approach of preaching, healing, and teaching. The Philippine Baptist pastors and American missionaries organized churches, established hospitals, and built schools, including the Jaro Industrial School, which became Central Philippine School, and later Central Philippine College. The college was closed during WWII and was reopened after the war. It continued to grow and in 1953 was renamed Central Philippine University. In 1969, the entire university property was turned over by the American Baptist Foreign Mission Society to Central Philippine University with the stipulation that safeguards are made against CPU ever becoming non-church related. CPU continues to operate today as a private research university and is one of the largest Baptist universities in the world.